2019年12月26日 星期四

從音樂劇 《Company》 到 Netflix 《Marriage Story 婚姻故事》 的一首 Being Alive

《Marriage Story 婚姻故事》 中的男主角 Charlie 在官司告一段落後,與劇場朋友在酒吧內傾訴,然後唱出這首 <Being Alive>。


Someone to hold you too close,
Someone to hurt you too deep,
Someone to sit in your chair,
To ruin your sleep.

PAUL: That's true, but there's more to it than that.
SARAH: Is that all you think there is to it?
HARRY: You've got so many reasons for not being with someone, but Robert, you haven't got one good reason for being alone.
LARRY: Come on, you're on to something, Bobby. You're on to something.

Someone to need you too much,
Someone to know you too well,
Someone to pull you up short
And put you through hell.

DAVID: You see what you look for, you know.
JOANNE: You're not a kid anymore, Robby. I don't think you'll ever be a kid again, kiddo.
PETER: Hey, buddy, don't be afraid it won't be perfect. The only thing
to be afraid of really is that it won't be.
JENNY: Don't stop now. Keep going.

Someone you have to let in,
Someone whose feelings you spare,
Someone who like it or not,
Will want you to share
A little, a lot.
SUSAN: And what does all that mean?
LARRY: Robert, how do you know so much about it when you've never been there?
HARRY: It's much better living it than looking at it, Robert.
PETER: Add 'em up, Bobby. Add 'em up.

Someone to crowd you with love,
Someone to force you to care,
Someone to make you come through,
Who'll always be there,
As frightened as you, of being alive,
Being alive, Being alive, Being alive.

AMY: Blow out the candles, Robert, and make a wish. Want something! Want something!

Somebody, hold me too close,
Somebody, hurt me too deep,
Somebody, sit in my chair
And ruin my sleep
And make me aware of being alive,
Being alive.

Somebody, need me too much,
Somebody, know me too well,
Somebody, pull me up short
And put me through hell
And give me support for being alive,
Make me alive.

Make me confused,
Mock me with praise,
Let me be used,
Vary my days.
But alone is alone, not alive.

Somebody, crowd me with love,
Somebody, force me to care,
Somebody, make me come through,
I'll always be there,
As frightened as you, to help us survive
Being alive, Being alive, Being alive!

這首歌是源自音樂劇 《Company》 的曲目,講述一個單身王老五,看到身邊的已婚朋友的夫妻相處,從為什麼要結婚;慢慢到感受自己需要一個伴。主角 Robert 唱出的 Being Alive,算是劇的中心歌曲。歌曲開始前不斷向已婚的朋友提問「What do you get for?」懷疑結婚到底令人得到什麼,看到的是有個人太過進入你的生活「hold you too close、hurt you too deep、sit in your chair、To ruin your sleep,」、影響你的心情 「need you too much、know you too well、pull you up short、put you through hell」,歌中夾雜朋友的勸說,逐漸令Robert唱出關於分享、陪伴的段落,唱出縱有困難與改變,但這才是活著 (being alive) 的覺悟。

而 Charlie 一人分演幾把聲音。歌中的轉折過程,像是先訴說本身的經歷和痛苦,慢慢到接受這些都是生活必然有的一部份。但作為聆聽的觀眾,想到 Charlie 離婚已成事實,接受這生活之餘卻已經是回不到的過去......。後段親自扮聲唱出吹熄生日蠟燭,許一些願望之後的「make me aware of being alive,、 give me support、vary my days、help us survive」充滿對這段關係的欣賞,及對Nicole愛意,以致無奈。


《Marriage Story》中不是反目成仇的離開,現實就是這樣的無奈,可能倆人仍帶著愛,但仍要走到提早完結的一刻。不是愛情沒了,而是傷痕已經扶不去。Nicole 和 Charlie 公寓的一段對話,有一直心底在意但一直未面對的事,也有吵架時才被放大的事。Charlie 的出軌、對結婚時可能太早太快的後悔、發展劇團同時可能忽略 Nicole 的想法;Nicole 可能一直沒說出在意的發展,可能沒有為意律師為對方帶來的陷阱和步步進逼,等等....終於過去每個傷痕擺出來,多少事情因為一直缺乏對話,大家的猶豫保留,而未曾好好處理,終於在某個時侯,不是爆發出來就是驅使你下一些決定。
Screenplayed - No dialogue or moments of hesitation is improvised in this fight scene in Charlie's apartment.


因為這一首歌而沉迷地尋找音樂劇《Company》中的曲目,另一首很有意思,比較輕快的歌曲則是這首
 <The Little Things You Do Together>

「It's the little things you do together
Do together
Do together
That make perfect relationships
The hobbies you pursue together
Savings you accrue together
Looks you misconstrue together
That make marriage a joy ......」


沒有留言:

張貼留言